Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll

I got gifted the beautiful penguin cloth bound classics version of this book for my 25th birthday from my boyfriend. Swiftly afterwards in May I buddy read it with a friend on Instragram. I rated the read 4 stars out of 5.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a more famous story than it's sequel due to the Disney Adaptation. It follows a young girl who falls down a rabbit hole and enters a fantasy world and goes on a whole host of adventures. I hadn't read the book before and was surprised by the additions of little poems and beautiful illustrations. The book has some amazing and elaborate characters and you can see why it is so well renowned as a classic.

Through the Looking-Glass:
Through the Looking-Glass is the sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which I was much less familiar with the story. Alice enters a fantasy world through the mirror, in which everything is reserved from her previous adventures in wonderland (much like in a mirror). The writing similarly to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was very easy to get along with and each chapter brought an almost separate story. 

I was surprised to learn that Humpty Dumpty featured in this book and that indeed this is how he became famous in his own right.

I loved all the hidden meanings and symbolism throughout the book. I also enjoyed the theme of chess throughout rather than the deck of cards in the prequel. It was playful and enjoyable!



Comments