An Unwanted Guest - Shari Lapena




Synopsis:


A remote lodge in upstate New York is the perfect getaway... until the bodies start piling up.It's winter in the Catskills and the weather outside is frightful. But Mitchell's Inn is so delightful! The cozy lodge nestled deep in the woods is perfect for a relaxing--maybe even romantic--weekend away. The Inn boasts spacious old rooms with huge wood-burning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar, and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or just curling up with a book and someone you love. So when the weather takes a turn for the worse, and a blizzard cuts off the electricity--and all contact with the outside world--the guests settle in for the long haul. The power's down but they've got candles, blankets, and wood--a genuine rustic experience! Soon, though, a body turns up--surely an accident. When a second body appears, they start to panic. Then they find a third body. Within the snowed-in paradise, something--or someone--is picking off the guests one by one. They can't leave, and with no cell service, there's no prospect of getting the police in until the weather loosens its icy grip. The weekend getaway has turned deadly. For some couples, it's their first time away. For others, it will be their last. And there's nothing they can do about it but huddle down and hope they can survive the storm.


Review:


This book have received a lot of attention in the book community. I was gifted a copy from my mum after she had brought it in the airport and read it on holiday. I wasn't sure what to expect as sometimes hyped books fall short for me.

It was wonderful. I rated it a 5 out of 5 stars! Shari Lapena's writing is exquisite and so gripping - right from the very beginning. It also contained wonderful descriptions of the lodge and it's surroundings, I felt I had been transported there.

The book and it's premise were very Agatha Christie esq which was wonderful for me as I LOVE her work. It did though still manage to feel very original, which is very interesting.

When reading a "who dunnit" book I always write down my guesses of who the killer is throughout my reading of the book. Ultimately, on this occasion, I did not guess who the killer was!

There were LOTS of twists, turns and drama. I am now intrigued to read more or Shari Lapena’s work.

Comments

  1. I've not heard of this book, but it sounds intriguing. I might have to pick it up as an October read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! I would recommend it and so easy to read!

      Delete
  2. Added the book to my already large tbr. It sounds like a good read to me, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as i did! let me know! Em

      Delete

Post a Comment