A Good Girls Guide to Murder - Holly Jackson

Synopsis:

The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town desperately wants to stay hidden. And if the real killer is still out there, how far will they go to keep Pip from the truth?

A debut YA crime thriller as addictive as Serial and as page-turning as One of Us Is Lying.


Review:

I've rated this 4/5 stars. This book was written in such an interesting way. It flicked between multiple ways of telling the story and the main characters thoughts. We got to see her mind maps and diary entries, phone transcription logs etc. I loved following her thoughts and piecing together the puzzle. It was like being in her mind!!


There was a twist or two that I did not see coming and I was on the edge of my seat throughout! Very easy to read and follow.

There were elements that were more YA than I usually enjoy and that is where this book loses a star (despite being in that genre i know i know). It felt at times it was struggling too hard to be anti-sexist etc etc and didn't feel natural in the dialogue to me... There were also a couple of obvious bits that it to me, took longer to transpire than I thought it would in real life.

Comments

  1. I had an ARC of this but ended up giving it away when I saw it was YA - I'm not the right audience for that so would prefer the book goes to someone I know will enjoy it more than I will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say YA should be restricted based on your age... I wouldn't have usually picked up a YA book but i'm sure glad i did in this case!!

      Delete

Post a Comment