Emma - Jane Austen

Synopsis:

"Emma Woodhouse is one of Austen's most captivating and vivid characters. Beautiful, spoilt, vain and irrepressibly witty, Emma organizes the lives of the inhabitants of her sleepy little village and plays matchmaker with devastating effect."

Emma - a literary classic by Jane Austen. A book I had really hoped I'd fallen in love with, especially as my mum has told me a thousand times that this book is my "namesake". I at least owed it to her to give it a try. 

I was gifted a copy one christmas from my mum and I dived straight in. 

I'm not sure if it is my bad relationship with classics in general of if it was this story in particular but I really didn't get along with it too well. I'm really not sure if i am a Jane Austen fan or not?! 

This is the first one of hers i have read and i'm not sure how quickly I will be jumping to another. 

The book had a story line in there and it was lovely for Emma to finally find her own happiness, eventually with Mr. Knightly. However, I did feel like (to me anyway) that 60% of the book could have been cut out entirely and I wouldn't have missed anything?

I ended up rating this book 3 out of 5 and promised to re-visit it in a couple of years time!





Comments

  1. Maybe a different Austen would work better for you - Pride and Prejudice is usually one that people enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few people have said that I should try another one. Maybe Pride and Prejudice will change my mind. I really wanted to love Emma, shame.

      Delete
    2. Definitely try another Jane Austen novel. Try Sense and sensibility or Persuasion. Persuasion is quite easy to follow and easy to read. Also it's quite relatable.

      Delete
    3. okokokok, I will branch out and try another!! :) thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment