Needful Things - Stephen King

Synopsis: 

"Leland Gaunt opens a new shop in Castle Rock called Needful Things. Anyone who enters his store finds the object of his or her lifelong dreams and desires: a prized baseball card, a healing amulet. In addition to a token payment, Gaunt requests that each person perform a little "deed," usually a seemingly innocent prank played on someone else from town. These practical jokes cascade out of control and soon the entire town is doing battle with itself. Only Sheriff Alan Pangborn suspects that Gaunt is behind the population's increasingly violent behavior."

Needful Things by Stephen King was the first King novel I have ever attempted. 

It is a whopping 785 pages long and in hindsight I probably should have started with a smaller one.

I did really enjoy how original it was but you do have to suspend belief (as i'm sure you do with all King's novels). I enjoyed all of the characters and their development. I can't help but wonder if the story could have been told in half the pages though. There was an awful lot of description that was good but didn't necessarily always add to the story line. Overall I rated this book 3 out of 5 stars. 

I have a few more King titles in my 580 strong collection of books. However, I think I might wait a little before trying another possibly smaller one....





Comments