Three Hours - Rosamund Lupton

Synopsis:

Three hours is 180 minutes or 10,800 seconds.

It is a morning's lessons, a dress rehearsal of Macbeth, a snowy trek through the woods.

It is an eternity waiting for news. Or a countdown to something terrible.

It is 180 minutes to discover who you will die for and what men will kill for.

In rural Somerset in the middle of a blizzard, the unthinkable happens: a school is under siege. Told from the point of view of the people at the heart of it, from the wounded headmaster in the library, unable to help his trapped pupils and staff, to teenage Hannah in love for the first time, to the parents gathering desperate for news, to the 16 year old Syrian refugee trying to rescue his little brother, to the police psychologist who must identify the gunmen, to the students taking refuge in the school theatre, all experience the most intense hours of their lives, where evil and terror are met by courage, love and redemption.




Review:

I bought this book because of the hype I’d seen all over the internet for it! In the back of my head I was worried I’d hyped it up too much but this was not that case.

I absolutely loved this book. It is set in real time (over 3 hours) but at no point do you think there is too much detail or that it is unnecessary despite it being 300 odd pages). Every single sentence builds the story beautifully.

The pace was excellent and I was gripped from the very beginning. The writing style and the descriptions were just right for me. I felt attached to the characters and loved how the story developed and came to its conclusion!

I’ve never read a book by Rosamund before but I will be checking out her other work now, that’s for sure!

Comments